Well so far my 2011 can be summarized in one word: WORK.
Today is my first day off in over a week and I am savoring every second of it! I was up at 8:00, ready to run out and get some errands ticked off my to do list. I finally purchased a lovely little porcelain tea pot with a Kitchen Warehouse gift card that had been burning a serious hole in my pocket. Then I went to the mall to pamper myself a bit with a lipstick consultation at Clinique. I ended up finding 2 perfect shades. I realize that all sounds a bit mundane, but I haven’t had “me” time in ages! It felt good just being a girl this morning.
In the weeks leading up to 2011, I began compiling a list of resolutions. I suppose it turned into more of a list of good habits and life improvements. I won’t list them all here because some are very personal, but here’s a few (everyone keep me accountable!).
2011 New Years Resolutions
1. Be more conscious of skin care. The sun here is brutal, so I’ve stocked up on strong sunscreen and I keep a small bottle in my purse at all times. I also bought new makeup and loads of facial skin care products to get myself in a good routine. I researched online to make sure I was doing the best possible things for my skin type. This is my most important resolution and will be my main focus this year. Sun damage, cancer (and eventually wrinkles) are no joke!
2. Skype my family at least once every two weeks. With the Packers doing so well lately, this one’s been pretty simple!
3. Send my friends update emails once a month. There’s only so much I can say in a blog post, so I’ll definitely be better about keeping in touch with my friends this year.
4. Post a blog entry once a week. Matt likes to point out how I’ve already been failing at this. I feel like my job has kept me from having an interesting life lately, but I’ll try to keep up with frequent, shorter entries in 2011.
5. Daily flossing. I was doing so well with this one a few months ago, but I let it go again sadly. I’ll be better now, I swear!
6. Read 50 books. I started this one back in 2009. I managed to read 55 books that year. But 2010 produced only 36. If you’d like to follow my progress, be my friend on goodreads! So far I’ve only managed one book in 2011, but I’m looking forward to a big afternoon…
7. Save $100 of every paycheck. This one is much harder than it sounds. I opened a new savings account and I put money away from my first paycheck of the year. Hopefully I can keep it up; my next visa will be very expensive.
8. Write creatively for 5 hours per week. As most of you know (those closest to me, I mean), I’ve always been an avid writer as well as a reader. Since I’ve been in Australia, I feel like I’ve been too busy to take some time for myself just to write. High school me would be so ashamed.
9. Learn to surf. Luckily I already have a friend who’d love to teach me!
10. Do some sort of physical activity everyday. This afternoon I’d like to work out a quick routine for the days when I don’t have time to run or swim. (This is basically everyday at this point with how my schedule has been.) I have basketball on Sundays and Mondays and soccer on Thursdays, so I just need some strength and core training on the side. Matt and I have also resolved to go for more walks. Yesterday we went to the park to throw the football around. We’re really excited for fall, when bushfire season is over and we can go for hikes.
I think 10 is a good place to stop. Anyone else got a fun resolution to share?